Okay… so I kept seeing recipes for “cauliflower alfredo sauce” and I kept thinking “there’s no way.” Most people are out living it up on Saturdays and I decided I’m just gonna have to see for myself if this is really similar to actual alfredo sauce. I’m an alfredo sauce queen and have a delicious recipe full of fat that I’ll have to share with you guys later.
So anyways, this is a wonderful healthier/less fattening/lower calorie alternative for alfredo sauce. I was honestly shocked that it tasted so similar. I added a lot of parmesan cheese on top of the plate, but that’s still a lot better than the standard alfredo sauce! It was so interesting and a must if you are craving alfredo + wanted to cut back on the fat.
- 1 lb. pasta
- 3 small heads of cauliflower (i used two large heads because that’s all we could find and it made A TON of extra sauce)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 8 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup of pasta water once it’s done cooking
INSTRUCTIONS: (oh god)
- Pour your 6 cups of vegetable broth into a large pot and let it boil.
- Chop the cauliflower and PLEASE watch your fingers and hands because the cauliflower moves around a lot. Next, add the cauliflower to the boiling vegetable broth for about 15-20 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add your minced garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- As the cauliflower is cooking, as well as the garlic/butter. Start boiling water for your pasta. This is what overwhelmed me the most because I was using three burners… and it just seemed like a lot.
- Next, grab an empty bowl and set it in the sink. Use a strainer and strain the cauliflower, catching the excess broth in the bowl below, because you’ll need two cups of the broth.
6. This is where it gets tricky because the recipe says to transfer the cauliflower & two cups of broth into a blender. However, my dad said it’s not a good idea to blend hot things because it could cause some kind of explosion. My friends mom uses a blender. I’m not sure, this scared me, so I used our immersion blender.
It’s automatic and has a blade on the end. It worked quite nicely.
7. Once you’ve blended it, you’ll mix in the salt, sautéed garlic, and pepper and continue blending.
8. After you’ve blended it for a few minutes, add in the olive oil. Continue blending. Then add the heavy whipping cream. Continue blending. Add the pasta water. Continue blending.
This made SO MUCH sauce. I would recommend scooping the sauce into the pasta pot so it’s not like you have soup with a few noodles in it.
This was really good and so much healthier than regular alfredo sauce.
I know it does seem extremely overwhelming, but once you do it once, it will be easy to do again. I was pretty stressed out, but looking back I would do it again.
*raises glass* TO HEALTH! *everyone cheers
I have been craving the cheddar ranch chicken I made last week!
I will have a much easier, healthy, delicious recipe up on Thursday!