So I sat on Pinterest for a year trying to figure out what I wanted to make today… I narrowed it down to two recipes and I picked the easier one.. obviously. Imagine you’re making a grilled cheeeeeeese, but it’s more refreshing and new. The great thing about these delicious sandwiches is that they’re pretty festive for this time of year!!
RED | WHITE | GREEN
- Italian Bread
- Basil leaves
- Garlic powder | Pepper
- 1 Tomato
- Mozzarella cheeeeeeese!
- Olive oil
- I wanted to make two sandwiches (one for me & one for my mom) so I cut four pieces of Italian bread.. so depending on how many you want… cut accordingly!
- If you’re doing one sandwich, set one piece of bread off to the side.
- You’re gonna want to slice the mozzarella cheeeeeese very thinly and evenly distribute it all over one piece of bread.
3. Next you will slice a tomato! I added one tomato slice to 1st sandwich & two tomato slices to the 2nd sandwich, basically enough to cover the piece of bread. I’m weird about tomatoes and didn’t want them to be overbearing (which they weren’t!!) so I sliced them pretty thin.
- You want to sprinkle a little garlic salt and pepper on the tomato slices
4. After the tomato placin’, you’re going to add another thin layer of mozzarella cheeeeeeeeese!
5. So then you’re going to add some basil leaves, you can either tear them up or leave them whole.. Whatever, it’s all going to the same damn place.
6. I don’t mean to keep repeating myself… but.. You’re gonna need to add another thin layer of mozzarella cheeeese! I got tired of thinly cutting the cheese (lol) and then decided to try and grate it, but it turned out to be just as difficult, which was weird because I’m like… really strong.
7. Once the cheese is placed, you’re gonna add the top piece of bread and spread some extra virgin olive oil to it!
8. You will then use a flat skillet and add some olive oil to it and then add the sandwich | make sure you place the olive oil side down first. Now you have the top piece of bread that’s basically naked, so you wanna add olive oil to that side as well.
*IMPORTANT | IMPORTANT | IMPORTANT* Make sure you start off with the heat setting on low or medium low and BABY SIT THAT PIECE OF BREAD… or you will end up with something like this:
This is just a good reminder that practice makes perfect and you can always start again! I was devastated, but thankfully, my mom came to the rescue and scraped off the tomato | basil | mozzarella and we put it on new bed, which resulted in this delicious goodness:
I kid you not, it was so, so, so good! And I definitely would make this again, it’s a nice change up from the classic grilled cheese and tomato soup.
TIP: Before I burned the shit out of that bread, I had strategically placed little pieces of garlic into the bread, however, we did try and save those little pieces and put them on the *new* sandwich bread + made it even better because who doesn’t like garlic?! If you don’t… well… why not? Go eat a clove right now!
Adapted from FullForkAhead