Can we all just agree that “Can’t Remember to Forget You” by Shakira and Rihanna is so good? Alright, so I was struck with food poisoning over the weekend and it was awful. I decided I wanted to make something that was healthy and refreshing since everything sounded absolutely repulsive, aside from the ice cream I had for breakfast, which was a mistake.
I decided to make this Quinoa Avocado Salad that I had been eyeing on Pinterest for awhile. I’ve never head quinoa before, but we have a huge mason jar full of it, so I thought now was the time. I kind of get sick of salads, unless it’s a caesar salad….. which some people say is barely a salad. So that’s why I thought quinoa would be a nice alternative for a base.
I’m not going to lie to any of you, I have extremely mixed emotions about this salad. I just don’t know how I feel. Like I’ve said before.. I’m weird about tomatoes… and why I keep adding it to food is beyond me. Everyone’s tastebuds are different.. my sister said she really liked the salad I made… I’m going back and forth.
WHATEVER, IT’S STILL HEALTHY AND YOU MIGHT LIKE IT.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Quinoa… obvi
- 3 ounces of spinach (I just grabbed a handful out of a variety pack of salad)
- 8 ounces of cherry tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbs red vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- Start by cooking the quinoa with whatever the instructions say
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and also slice up the spinach (or rip it)
- plz rinse all of your vegetables.. I don’t care if they’re organic or not. RINSE THEM.
3. Get your avocados and cut them in half, once you do this you are easily able to peel the skin from the avocado, which I didn’t know you could do this and it works just like an orange does, that way it’s easier to cut! I was mind blown.
They kind of look like limes……….
4. While the quinoa is cooking (it takes about 25 minutes.. which is kind of long) you can go ahead and prep your salad dressing.
- You’re just gonna whisk together in a bowl: two garlic cloves (minced), 2 tbs red vinegar, 2 tbs olive oil, 1/8 tsp of salt… super easy.
5. Once the quinoa is done, you’re going to grab a large bowl and mix the quinoa and spinach together.
6. Next, mix in the tomatoes, followed by the avocados and dressing. Mix it even more.
7. You can eat it right away, it will be warm, or refrigerate it.
Again, I’m having mixed feelings about this salad (because I’m just a freak when it comes to eating things that are healthy.. you guys know I love junk food), but I still wanted to share it with you guys because you never know, this may be your new favorite salad!! I hope everyone had a great weekend. Christmas is just around the corner… eeeek!
Recipe adapted from The Garden Grazer!